"Alperin, Glenn" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:46:30 -0500
>Hi,
>
> How bad an idea is it to be sending html-email so that colour can be used
>to accent the text? I thought I'd heard of another rich-email format or
>something that some browsers support???

HTML e-mail works great if you can ensure that EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON YOUR
LIST can properly interpret it through thyeir mail clients.  Sending me an
HTML encoded message, for example, would result in my seeing a whole lot
of HTML code interspersed with the actual message, makeing reading such
messages for me very difficult.

Yes, there is another mail format called RTF (Rich Text Formatting), but
if I were to recieve a message encoded by RTF, I'd have about 10 pages of
totally useless gibberish at the end of every message I recieve.  (See my
comment below about my not using an e-mail package which understands any
of this stuff.)  Interesting to note that a few mail packages seem to be
set up, by default, to use this method of sending mail.

> We have been experimenting with html. Many browsers seem to accept some
>form of html. Its so hard to test for many different possible behaviours
>without copies of all the popular email browsers and all of the various
>platforms at your fingertips to test with (not to mention the many
>versions of the various software packages).

I'm not using a browser for my e-mail.  (If my school had such a thing set
up right now, I probably would, but they don't.)  I am using an e-mail
package called All-in-1 (OpenVMS operating system) which is a lousy e-mail
program for anything accept text documents, and it can screw up even those
if a hard Return or Enter is not pressed after every 79 characters or so.

> While I'm at it, does anybody know of an "all you need to know about
>MIME and content-type etc.." web site or book? (Wishfull thinking...)

Hoping somebody can answer your query on this one...I am not knowledgeable
here.

>David Mayerlen

Glenn Alperin