Bill Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:29:27 -0400
"LISTSERV list owners' forum" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
03/20/2007 08:15:42 AM:

> I usually wait to see how many and what kinds of issues there are and
> how stable the release is before upgrading to new versions of any
> software. As 15.0 has been out for a few months, I'm debating whether or
> not to upgrade. I'm in the process of migrating to a new server (haven't
> read the migrating white paper yet), and I'm wondering if migrating and
> upgrading at the same time would be a good idea, or if this would
> compound any issues I might have with just migrating to the degree that
> it wouldn't be worth while.
>
> Any thoughts?

Do it in two steps.  I only moved Listserv once, but my preference for
other applications is to move to new hardware first, then migrate.  If
there is significant processing involved, it can take advantage of the
newer (usually faster) system.  I don't think this applies to Listserv,
but I would still do one before the other.  If something fails on the
move, you can revert back to the original system if you have to.  Make
sure you have a good backup before doing the upgrade, again, a fallback
position if you have a problem.