Debra Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 31 May 1999 09:31:09 +1000
On 28 May 99, at 10:33, Alan S. Dobkin wrote:

> --On Tuesday, May 25, 1999, 12:03 PM -0400 Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > the userid portion of userid@node IS supposed to be case-sensitive.
> > Thus [log in to unmask] could be different from [log in to unmask]
> > (though here, it actually is not).
>
> Does anyone know of any real-world examples where mail accounts are
> actually treated this way?  I don't think I've ever come across one....
>
> Alan
because of our set up we require the use of an aliases file on a SunOS mail server.... Unix is
case sensitive and so [log in to unmask] is totally different from Pete-Weiss@psu.edu......
and different again from [log in to unmask] or any derivative or combination of upper case and
lower case letters..... they would be treated as totally unrelated accounts... (unless we added in
aliasing to point them all to the one person so no matter what format was used, the mail would
get to the correct account)

Debra