Dan Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 09:07:43 -0800
Hi folks:

A little while ago I asked the forum about 'ghost recipients'. Thanks to
those of you who responded with comments and suggestions. Unfortunately my
problem persists, and I grow weary my daily error digest reminding me of
these folks. ANY suggestions are welcome:

- these are email address that are not and have not been a member of my
list for quite awhile (a year in one case). Persistent attempts to
"delete/quiet delete" them results in a message which essentially says that
it can't be done because they are not members of the list.

- error messages do NOT come back from these addresses when postings are
sent out.

- the ONLY way I know the addresses reside somewhere is from listserv which
daily generates the following error mesage: "Last error: 553 5.1.1 unknown
or illegal user" for this collection of addresses.

After a year of deleting these daily error messages, I figure there must be
some way of getting rid of these folks. Help?

Thanks

Dan