Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 12:36:23 -0500
As the co-listowner that Douglas mentionned who regularly makes a
printout of the subscription list arranged by name I want to support
his statement that characters like ""  "", <  > around a subscriber's
name really do play hob with the sorting.

Eric said that Listserv automatically places  "  " around names that
contain some special characters, such as the period.  Well, I am looking
at my names printout and there are a number with the "  " that do not
contain any special characters that I can see, .e.g.
        "Beth Fellendorf"
        "Michelle Chan"
        "Ufu Library"
        "Canterbury Newsgate"
        "Thousand Oaks Library"

And what is the explanation for the names with the angle brackets:
        <GPO Cataloging Branch I>
        <Buffalo & Erie Co. Pub. Lib.>   Why isn't this one in
                quotation marks, with all its special characters?

        Yours in puzzlement,

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat