Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Jul 1993 22:37:02 -0400
Len Burns <[log in to unmask]> asked and a couple of others
want the answer:

> I hope this has not been answered several dozen times.  I am managing a
> list from a non-Bitnet site so everything I do must be via email.  I am
> needing to make files available on the listserv for subscribers and am
> looking for the steps I need to get them there along with a description.

You can send files via email with a PUT command as the first
line.  Here is an example:

PUT KIDART ART003 KIDART "TITLE=Fax Art Wellington NZ July 91" pw=xxxxxx
    1      2      3      4                                     5

1&2  - the filename & filetype.  After the file is stored, it can
       be retrieved with the command:  GET KIDART ART003

3    - the filelist in which the file is to be stored.

4    - the title that will be listed in the index of files

5    - the password for storing files.

A list owner will usually *not* be able to store files until the
LISTSERV manager has set up the file area for the list (this is
not automatic even if the list is archived) and established the
password.  So please check this with the manager of the LISTSERV
you are using before you try this.

I have not had any troubles doing this by email.  But all my
files have line lengths less than 80 characters.  As another
message today noted, there are problems PUTing lists back on the
LISTSERVer because the lines greater than 80 characters in length
get wrapped around.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>