Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:01:14 -0500
My previous question got no help. I may have supplied too much detail, so
let's try some specific cases. I want to introduce renewal procedures to a
running list (using 14.3).

(1) I would prefer to code Renewal= with Probe, so no action is required to
renew a subscription for a working address. However, I find that probes sent
to a non-working address didn't detect any problem. I know sending to that
address produced a proper error response--for evidence, see the next case.

I even tried replying to a probe sent to a working address, but LISTSERV
just reported that it couldn't find any valid commands in the reply.

(2) When I removed the Probe attribute, the non-working address was deleted
and appeared on the daily error report. However, the message requesting a
renewal confirmation is faulty: It includes a link to click for easy
renewal, and that link DOES NOT WORK if you happen to have a LISTSERV login
cookie that associates your login with a different address. (I happen to
have one NOMAIL subscription for sending to the list, one for receiving list
email, and one for managing it, which gives me very flexible testing
conditions.) So I'd rather Renewal= Probe worked, which it clearly doesn't.

I also hope to use passive probing (coding Auto-Delete= with Probe), but
according to the manual that won't do anything unless the subscribers are
subject to renewal. I've got one subscriber that's been bouncing email from
a remapped address for nearly two months--hence my interest in identifying
bad subscriptions.

Hal Keen