"Natalie Maynor" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 17:41:32 CST
> look for USER UNKNOWN or HOST UNKNOWN errors and I forward ONE
> BOUNCE to Pete for his analysis and action.  The CAN'T CONNECT FOR 3

I long ago quit worrying about analyzing the bounces.  If I get 15 or
20 bounces in a row for an address, I set the address to NOMAIL and
send a form note to that person (who usually doesn't get it because
it usually bounces) with a copy to the postmaster at that address.
The form note explains how to set MAIL after the problem is solved.
Sometimes a postmaster replies and says that subscriber no longer has
an account.  In that case, I delete the person.  Otherwise, I don't
worry about it.  Now that I've added the RENEWAL option to my high-traffic
list, people who are set to NOMAIL and then forget they're even on the
list will ultimately either have to confirm or be deleted automatically.

I don't find that this kind of thing takes an inordinate amount of time.
If I log on and find 200 bounces, I certainly don't read every one of
them.  I spot-check to make sure they're all for the same address, set
that address to NOMAIL, send the form note, and then block delete the
bounce messages.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])