Thu, 3 Aug 1995 20:52:44 -0500
On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Trish Forrest wrote:
>   My understanding of the question was that it was for subscribers.
> I think it very innappropriate to teach subscribers how to forge mail...

I agree with you, Trish.  While many people, including many listowners,
know how to forge email I don't think it a good idea to advocate it
to the general netizen as a means of solving problems.  There are those
who will use the knowledge responsibly, but there are a lot of others
who may see other potential uses which may not be appreciated by list
owners nor subscribers.

Yes, the information on how to do it is readily available on the net
but I see no reason to braoadcast it (if you think only listowners
subscribe to this list I suggest you rethink).  May sound elitist,
but sometimes one is primarily interested in protecting his list,
and it's impossible to protect the list from a really good forger.

If someone wants to learn how to do it, fine, let him look it up for
himself.  I see no reason to broadcast it gratis.    Douglas

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L