Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 08:43:38 EDT
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:23:00 -0700 Jesse Wechsler said:
>Hi all,
>
>Still learning the ropes, make that the webs. I never saw an answer to this
>come up.
>
>Can someone help me out with just what a remote user is??? Are we talking
>about traveling laptops checking in at hotels or something and deciding to
>sign on/off??

A remote user is one who is not physically logged on the same computer as
listserv.  It might be a user on another computer on the same lan, or
someone on the internet half way around the world.

On the other hand, I could be half way around the world, but if I use the
internet to telnet into the machine running listserv, and log on, then
I am a local user.

So, remote vs local has to do with where you are logged in, to send the
commands to listserv.

Harold