Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:28:46 -0500
On 9/10/2004 7:55 PM, Winship wrote:
> So, what I was
> thinking, was that she could tackle all this web stuff that neither of
> us have had time, or really wanted, to go into.  But she doesn't know
> anything about LISTSERV.  Hence my questions.  I've trying to get
> info to give her.

All I know about web design and HTML coding (and it is not much), I learned
by reading other people's HTML source code. I have modified several of the
site-wide web pages on our LISTSERV server, as well as the list archives
web pages for several lists which I own, and I know of several other local
lists that have customized list archives web pages. If you can be more
specific about the nature of the changes you want to make, I might be able
to find some examples of similar changes.

Some of the changes that I have made to site-wide pages:

* Removed all links and references to mail-merge functions, since we do
   not support that function. Aside to L-Soft: Please consider making the
   inclusion of mail-merge links and info conditional on the value of an
   appropriate site variable in go.user.

* Removed the 'delete from all lists' button from the list management page.
   A list owner cannot remove a subscriber from all lists, so that button
   could only be used by the system administrator. Aside to L-Soft: This
   is another case in which inclusion of a particular element on a page
   ought to be conditional.

* Removed the 'unsubscribe from all lists' button from the account
   management screen. We had one too many incidents in which someone
   clicked that link when they were trying to unsubscribe from a
   single list.

* Modified the SUB-TOP-BANNER template (1.8e only) to show the email
   address specified at login. In an environment where each individual
   user has at least 3 aliases which map to the same mailbox, and many
   LISTSERV web users have saved a permanent login cookie, this feature
   makes it easier to determine why an individual is unable to access
   a specific restricted web page.

Some changes that I have made, or seen made, to list archives pages:

* Addition of links to related pages, such as the list charter, or
   the archives of related lists.

* Addition of images.

* Addition of a link to launch a search of the archives with a static,
   pre-determined search argument.

* Removal of links.

As I stated above, if you can be more specific about the nature of
the changes you want to make, I might be able to find examples of
similar changes on one or more of our local lists.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator