Michael Mee <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:50:23 -0700
From: "Stan Horwitz" <[log in to unmask]>
> Frankly, I think you can shield your subscribers from spambots in a much
> easier and just as reliable method. Just make Notebooks private,
> subscriptions either private,confirm, and postings private,confirm.  I
> have yet to see a spambot that would bridge those steps.

Thanks for this info Stan. However doesn't this then require any subcriber
that wants to read the archives register for (yet another) password before
they can access them?  If so, this is a problem because a) its a hassle
that we'd rather not inflict on subscribers, and b) we expect (hope) many
people to read the archives without actually joining the list.  Or am I
misunderstanding your suggestion?

Maybe the simple work around is to have an account reserved for this and
publish the email/password right on the main page entry to the archive. Do
you see any problems with this?

> The notebooks will survive being edits with Notepad, assuming you do not
> delete any of the lines that Listserv uses for parsing purposes.

Good to hear this - though I'd be interested to know what lines Listserv
uses. I'd like to strip out everything except the subject, date, from
address and body if it didn't mess with pre-existing search urls.

Thanks again for the replies. and for any further info anyone provides!

cheers, michael