Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:27:46 -0500
I run a list that many ill and anxious people rely on for support, advice,
and news. Distribution of this list, TRNSPLNT, has been blocked for 24 hours
now.  Delays of up to 5 days have not been uncommon over the last several
years, and several day shut downs strike at least once a month.  For some
lists this isn't a problem, but you can imagine that this is an unworkable
situation for some groups, like ours.  This block comes at a particularly
bad time since there were major changes made in organ allocation in the US
just yesterday.  This means that many of my subscribers now have good reason
to fear for their lives.  I'm telling you this to try to impress on you that
days long shut downs can be a serious concern, and not just a matter of a
few people moaning about an interruption in their favorite passtime, as has
seemed to be the reaction to some of my previous queries.

I have some questions about what a listowner can do to gather information
about the source of the trouble when things like this occur.  Even if it
can't be fixed right away, some news and assurance that the problem is being
fixed can be passed on to my subscribers.  Is it possible to trace
distribution, and what command should I send to find out if any particular
node is not active?  Is there a way of changing distribution, at least
temporarily?  For instance, can LISTSERV distribution by pass the LISTSERV
node system entirely during unexpected shut downs?

Do other LISTSERV lists experience problems like this on a regular basis?
If so, is it realistic for a list such as ours to use LISTSERV?  Should we
be looking at some other system?  This list is totally a volunteer and
charitable effort, completely non-commericial.  Washington University has
been great in donating resources to what I feel is a very important and
necessary community service.  It does work most of the time.

Thanks for any and all responses.  We really can use some help here.

Mike Holloway