Bob Earl <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:48:37 -0500
One of my listowners is having a problem - where MIME digests are being
truncated.  I happen to get a MIME digest of the list in question, and my
email program (Pegasus 3.01b, 32-bit) allows me to see the 'raw' message
if I choose.

I found the header:

and also found that the last message that 'shows' in the digest view ends
just before displaying a line that the user typed in, which consisted of
a few more dashes than that.

I have searched the archives at http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives and
found (as nearly as I can tell) that this topic was last addressed on
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 by Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]> ... he was replying
to Nathan, who had stated:

Andrew wrote:

>After discussing the problem with David Harris, author of Pegasus
>Mail, and checking over the RFC's, I regret to say that it appears to
>be a LISTSERV problem.
>
>RFC 2046, the current authority on the MIME multipart/digest format,
>states:
>
>   The boundary delimiter line following the last body part is a
>   distinguished delimiter that indicates that no further body parts
>   will follow.  Such a delimiter line is identical to the previous
>   delimiter lines, with the addition of two more hyphens after the
>   boundary parameter value.
>
>     --gc0pJq0M:08jU534c0p--
>
>So, with LISTSERV's usual boundary string of 28 dashes, a line of 30
>dashes in a digest is considered a digest separator, while a line of
>32 dashes is considered a digest terminator.  LISTSERV prepends an
>extra space to lines of 30 dashes so that they will not be
>misinterpreted but my tests show that it does nothing when building a
>digest with postings that contain lines of 32 dashes.

I'm no guru, I just need a solution.  Any pointers?

FWIW, here is my LSV info:

> show license
License type:    Graduated
Expiration date: None - perpetual license
Capacity:        10 points (3 in use)
Product options: LITEFE
Scope:           MAXSUB(500),PERLIST
Version:         1.8d
Serial number:   FREE-EDITION-UNIX;728996
Build date:      7 Jan 1998

> show version
LISTSERV(R) Lite for unix version 1.8c (Free Edition), managed by:

Alias file version:          1998-01-23 16:27:47
Running under:               Linux 2.0.27
Runmode:                     Tableless (via SWGATE.LSOFT.COM)

Thanks for any and all help in this manner!!