Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:16:38 GMT
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:59:08 +0000, Carlton Conley <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> A subscriber wants to be able to post to the list without her full name
>> (under which she is subscribed) showing.
>>
>> I read through the manual, and saw that she could be added using an
>> asterisk.
>
>No, this will only suppress her name on the list of subscribers when
>doing the review command.
>
>To keep her name from showing she needs to alter her own e-mail
>program where she adds her personal name to the address

Once you have subscribed to a list, using your full name, LISTSERV
'remembers' that name associated with that address.  If you later attempt
to change your name to *, it won't work, because LISTSERV still rmembers
you full name.  If you alter your email program settings to completely
remove your Name (leaving only your address), again LISTSERV will remember
your name that goes with that address, and will 'fill-in' the name it
remembers for that address when you send a msg to the list.

The only way to effectively change your name is to change it to something
else in your email program (such as your initials).  Then LISTSERV will
pass whatever is in the msg unchanged by what it remembers.

 Ben Parker .....(Oak Park IL -> Denver CO) ..... [log in to unmask]