Vince Sabio <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:07:04 -0400
** Sometime around 23:35 -0400 9/22/98, George Buckner said:

>OK, LSoft, I've already tested this problem enough to know how to
>duplicate it:
>
>I've noticed recently that Listserv has a habit of inserting the
>">" character whenever a paragraph in the message begins with the
>word "From" (with an uppercase "F").  Thus a sentence that started
>with "F" now starts with ">F".
>
>By the way I'm running 1.8d.
>
>Why does Listserv have this "feature" ?

Don't blame LISTSERV, blame your MTA. Since any line starting with
"From " (note the missing colon) denotes the start of a new mail
message in the spool file, the MTA will insert a ">" in front of
the word "from" when it appears at the start of a record; this
prevents the MUA (or POP gateway) from misinterpreting the line as
the start of a new mail message.

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/tsc/Vince/>
[log in to unmask]            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>

   Vince's Interior Decorating Tip #37 (collect the whole series!):
       "If it's not spaghetti, it doesn't belong on the wall."