Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:10:18 +0100
I am not proposing to involve  any new technology laws into this lawsuit.
I'm proposing to stick to laws  that the lawyers and courts understand. A
spam  is  an  unsolicited  advertisement. When  you  get  an  unsolicited
advertisement, you have the  right to ask the sender to  take you off the
bulk mail list (the  fact that you pay for the delivery  is just icing on
the cake - even if THEY pay, you have the right to ask them to stop). I'm
proposing for  hundreds of  organizations totalling thousands  of mailing
lists to  collectively demand not to  receive further ads on  the mailing
lists  they operate,  through a  carefully crafted  legal procedure  that
formally  delegates this  authority to  a central  clearinghouse. If  the
spammer persists  in sending ads to  your lists, you can  sue him, unless
the relevant laws  happen to say that  this does not work when  the ad is
carried using IP datagrams. The last time I  was in the US, I heard on TV
that a  woman sued  some used  car joint  that kept  sending her  ads for
whatever the  current special deal of  a lifetime was. She  asked them to
stop several times, but they just went  on. She got $2,500, which may not
be  much, but  if you  multiply  by the  number  of lists  (or even  just
organizations) it's serious  money. Besides, I imagine  that the spammers
or their clients would be in a worse situation. The used car joint can at
least plead  negligence. After all,  the woman  had told them  she wasn't
interested in buying  anything from them. There wasn't much  of a reason,
other  than laziness  and/or  obstination,  to keep  sending  her ads.  A
spammer on the other hand would be making a serious cut to his "audience"
by  obeying  the clearinghouse's  order.  Complying  means losing  money,
because in  the advertising business  clients generally pay  according to
the number of  people who will see the message.  It's not negligence when
you forget to remove, say, 10,000 lists from your mailing list of 15,000;
it's plain and simple refusal to comply.

  Eric