Fri, 17 Jun 1994 20:58:04 -0500
I don't know if any of this has anything to do with what has been on
this gentleman's lists but I don't care.  I've offered to help with
his lists and told him to write to this list to seek further aid.

It does not look like a promising sign for free expression (appropriate
to the list in question of course) on our lists, and in general, if his
suspicions are correct.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 23:58:34 EDT
From: W. K. (Bill) Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: ADMIN: Police raid my office - not list related

At about 3:45PM EDT today, Thursday, June 16, 1994, Central Michigan
University (Mt. Pleasant, MI) campis police raided my office. They
claimed to have received a "tip" that I was carrying a gun in my back pocket".

Of course this imaginary gun was not found. There was no gun. There never
has been. I do not carry a weapon and never have. Why would my employer
of nearly 13 years engage in such a course of action?

Since I am active as a disability rights advocate on and off campus, I
question the motivation for this action and categorize it as harassment.
When I emerged from my office after two rather embarassed police officers
departed, I began to feel that there was more going on here than first meets
the eye when I found that _the entire office complex had been cleared_.
I am beginning to get very paranoid about all this. Is it possible that
someone truly wished me harm and hoped that the police would use deadly
force against me?

If my opinion to thee effect that this is deliberate harassment is correct,
the next step may be curtailment of net access. This would impact
the list(s). I have made some provisions to continue management of them
from an "emergency ID" but this account does not handle large mail
volumes well.

For these reasons I will be NOMAIL on all my lists for a time. If anyone
wishes to contact me, please feel free to do so by private E-mail. At present,
my nerves are so shattered by this experience that I may require some
time to recover. My wife is terrified that the next step in what appears to
be a campaign of terror directed against me will be another false police
report aimed at causing a drug raid on my home.

I'm babbling, I know. My thoughts are a shambles.

W. K. (Bill) Gorman
List Owner