Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:30:58 -0600
> But there's a substantial difference between an email to an individual
> and a public posting to an archived discussion list.  I might try to
> do something about someone quoting a private email, but I wouldn't
> even think about it if the quoted text were out there on a public
> list.

Apparently not really... cases regarding hard copy.. have clearly
pointed out that unless otherwise stated... the words a person
writes.. are copyrighted to the AUTHOR, no matter where they are
published.

BUT.. many journals and other publications demand copyright be handed
over to them in order for something to be published on their pages.
Even the authors of papers can't republish their papers on web sites
or anywhere else without permission then.

On our lists.. we make it very clear in the welcome message and help
files.. that copyright remains with the posters...

I would suggest, to be on the safe side, if the listowners want
ownership.. that be posted very clearly.. and if they don't.. that
too be posted very clearly.

I can't think of a legal reason that would prohibit a listowner to
even say... copyright is given up when a post is made (published) to
a list.. and therefore any post may legally be posted (published) any
- elsewhere.  but I'm not a lawyer!