John Cottingham <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:30:09 -0500
At 10:19 AM 8/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am being inundated with spam sent to the "-request" address for my list,
>FILMUS-L.  Presently I'm getting about 5-10 spam messages a day this way.
>I have tried using the filters in my e-mail client (Novell GroupWise 6.0.1)
>but this is like shoveling sand against the waves.

I believe the list-request address is used by the listserv to notify you
that a non-subscriber attempted to send something to list@listserv....
Several years back we went to verify on subscriptions and it has kept the
mass spam off our list.

There is one address that spammers can spoof and post to any list, verified
or not, unless the header has the filter keyword enabled.

* filter = ALSO,listserv@*

Personally, seeing the list-request messages is reassuring. I just wish I
could keep my other email accounts as free of spam.

John Cottingham