"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:00:25 -0500
Digest truncation is a problem on some systems ... not a LISTSERV
problem, but a problem for some subscribers.

I have seen two cases; the latter case is most prevalent.

1.  The mail client or local gateways support only small mail
    messages. I've seen as small as 32K, but several at 64K bytes for a
    mail file. I cut my digests after 1,500 lines, but even at that,
    some people can't use them.  Thankfully, this problem gets smaller
    (affects fewer people), each year.

2.  The local mail gateway can't tell the difference between a line
    containing only a period and the period that SMTP uses as an "end
    of file" indicator.  Occasionally, someone will use the lone period
    at the end of their mail, near their signature.  Those people with
    the broken gateway don't notice the missing signature, but will
    surely be affected with a digest subscription as they won't see the
    following posts in the digest.  When I see people use the "lone
    period", I explain and ask them to change.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith               internet: [log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS        University of Maine System