Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 10:01:57 EST
On Thu, 11 Feb 1993 14:49:22 +0100 you said:
>  CONCERNING LISTSERVER.

Which one?  There are several mail exploders out there, some of which call
themselves listserv's of various flavors.  This list deals with one which
runs on VM systems.  It is written by Eric Thomas.  It is not in the public
domain.  It is probably irrelevant to you, as should this list be.

A later program which runs on some flavor of Unix is also called listserv.
That seems to be what you have.  I don't know where to go to get answers
about *that* software, but this isn't the place.

> WHAT IS GOING ON?

You're asking questions in the wrong place, and we're trying to explain
why.

> We are 4 students who's "mission" is to install a listserver.  Using this
> listserver it vil be possible for Norwegian students and other people to
> read news about Norway.

Good for you.  You ought to study what's available using NetNews/Usenet as
well as e-mail before you make too many decisions or start asking too many
questions.  You may not realize how many options you have.

> As far as we know the only way to do this is to install a listserver and
> establish a list called "norwegianews" or something.

There are other options, such as Netnews/Usenet mentioned above.

> As i said earlier we have downloaded listserver 6.0 from cs.bu.edu.
>
>If we are going to do this (install it) we have to use a program that is
>public domain.  As far as we know, this (listserver 5.41 - listserv 6.0)
>is the only one.

I don't know if there are other mail exploders out there you could use on
your available systems which you can get for no cost (although not
necessarily public domain).  I would heartily recommend going to whoever
installed your e-mail system and asking them for a few references.  They
probably know more about Unix or whatever than we do; we just use this
other program which is probably of no use to you.