"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 09:01:00 EST
>One of my subscribers mailed me that he couldn't get any response
>when he issued INDEX or REVIEW commands.

Any one can do an INDEX (since your NOTEBOOK is PUBLIC) and I
was able to do so.  Only a list-owner can retrieve the actual
subscriber list since you have REVIEW restricted (though the
list definition headers ARE returned in response).

>But he could get response with INFO command.

>My assumption is that when he issues commands which returns "FILE",
>he cannot get response.

If this person is a BITNET user, I guess that is a possibility.
To prove that conjecture, have the user append F=MAIL e.g.,

REV FIRSTNEWS F=MAIL
INDEX FIRSTNEWS F=MAIL

>Have you ever experienced ?

E-mail delivery can be screwed up in more ways than you
can imagine, especially over holidays like those occurring
in the USA right now.

>P.S.
>He is first guy who cannot get response.
>His pop server setting is wrong ?

Could be that or anyone of a number of other things.

I suggest that you reconsider your list defintion

>* Subscription= Open

* SUBSCRIPTION= OPEN,CONFIRM

This will help avoid bogus (spoofed) subscriptions as
is (attempted) occurring this week on thousands of lists.

--  co-owner:   INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
URL:mailto:[log in to unmask]                    "PSUVM.bitnet RIP 12/31/96"