Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 21:40:44 -0400
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Bill Harrison wrote:

> On 16 Sep 97 11:27:44 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> >From:         Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject:      Re: [LSTOWN-L] Help with Review
> >>
> >> 1.  Can I set only certain individuals to review?
> >
> >        Yes.  Use the: SET listname REVIEW FOR [log in to unmask]
> >                 command.  You can also do it: QUIET SET ...
> >                 and they won't be notified that you have changed
> >                 their option.   (The assumption is that the
> >                 default for your list is NOREVIEW)
> >        Do the same for each subscriber you want to set to REVIEW
>
> you should be aware that if the person unsubscribes and resubscribes,
> he will wipe out the review setting and be back on regular mode. The
> only way around this is to have as a default option, review, which
> will put every new subscriber on review. I go thru my list every few
> days and remove the new people that have signed up and come under
> review for no reason.

On AUTOCAT we use REVIEW as a default option.  When a subscriber posts
one valid message to the list he or she is then changed to NOREVIEW.
That way we can catch messages from newbies that should be sent to
LISTSERV or that are way out of scope, blatant advertising, and other
things inappropriate for our list.   Some people never post and may
therefore remain set to REVIEW for years.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat
     http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~ulcjh