Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:11:57 -0300
This makes a lot of sense to me.

> I would take no pleasure in running a list that required
> that much intervention. To me, an e-mail list is closer to a spoken
> conversation than to a published work of writing . . .
> I happen to be an editor by profession, so I spend my work days
> shaping other people's writing. But I would never consider editing the
> posts to one of my lists.

There's another issue.  Once you intervene once, you're responsible
for all of it: anything said on the list is deemed to have been passed
by you.  A few years ago, someone posted something by hitting reply
carelessly that she thought might cost her her job. After quite a lot
of back and forth, I finally went in and silently edited it out of the
archive.  I worried about that precedent for a long time, and I've not
done it since.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English