John Hannum <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 May 1994 13:34:13 EDT
On Wed, 25 May 1994 12:26:00 EDT Kathryn.Krause said:
>Boy, I guess I missed it -- exactly what is the green card lottery?

The green card lottery (funny, but they're blue now) is a way for legal
residents (but not resident aliens) to gain that status through a lottery
sponsored by INS, without going through the usual legal hassles.

>Is someone actually going to issue green cards via a lottery?  How does
>one enter?  Is this legal?  Ethical?  Maybe somebody would be so kind as
>to brief me directly, since this topic is already generating traffic which
>isn't always listownership-related...

Wow, how did you miss this?  These turkeys posted to 5,000 plus newsgroups
that you could get in on the lottery by sending them MONEY.  It was a scam
in the sense that anyone could get in anyway by contacting the INS.  They
were raising false hopes for filthy lucre.  If it's not illegal, and it's not,
it sure as heck is dishonest misrepresentation.  They bombarded most lists.
Mine were unaffected since one is confidential and the other is moderated.

John Hannum <[log in to unmask]>
Co-owner RURSOC-L/Co-moderator H-Rural
University of Kentucky