"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Dec 1993 18:23:00 EST
>I'm getting error messages from the JANET/EARN Gateway in the UK
>saying that a member of my list is at a node that doesn't exist.
>I know it does, though, because I mailed him personally a couple of
>days ago.

Don't be surprized to get lots of bounce messages this time of year:
(1) mail boxes fill up because the "lights are on, but no one's at
home", (2) sysadmins might be performing maintenance including the
expunging of obsolete/moved e-mail addresses.  E.g., I will
be removing the host1.ms.psu.edu and ms.psu.edu "A" records from
the DNS on or about 3 Jan 94.  Thus if your e-mail flowed on 2 Jan,
it probably won't work the next day (if one were to send to THAT
host.

>Is it possible that the node is just inaccessible at the moment or
>is the problem more technical?

You could wait until the end of the first week of January to pursue
as per (1) above.
>I'm wondering about the way the gateway inverts addresses.
>This person's address is long:
>[log in to unmask] (which is 143.117.254.4)

I think it has something with the way they drive on the "wrong"
side of the road, but don't quote me.

/Pete ([log in to unmask])  --  co-owner  LDBASE-L, TQM-L, CPARK-L, et -L
--
Peter M. Weiss         "The 'NET' never naps"             +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA