Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:28:13 -0500
At 10:19 11/10/2005 Thursday, Laura Kraly wrote:
>My question is regarding a Private List where only List Owners can
>subscribe users and only subscribers can post to the List.
>
>If a non-subscriber tries to subscribe or to post to the List they get a
>message back saying what the error is and who to contact if they have
>questions. Now, in the message it says to contact the List Owner at
>[log in to unmask] (filled in with my “Listname” dash “the
>word ‘Request’” @ myhost.com). My problem is that this e-mail address is
>not valid and if I try to send to that address I get back an undeliverable
>message.

listname-REQUEST may need to be defined somewhere in your SENDMAIL config (that's a good question for lstsrv-l).

If you are not using SENDMAIL, then it sounds like there is some other config problem w/i LISTSERV or your mailer.

Correct -- ERRORS-TO= is where OWNER-listname@listhost is forwarded.  BTW, that's another alias that you will need in SENDMAIL.

>Does anyone know if there is a setting where I can specify an e-mail
>address for the [log in to unmask] so that it will be valid?

listname-REQUEST goes to ALL non-quiet list-owners, but only if:

1) any SENDMAIL aliases are defined correctly

2) end-user responds to challenge that LISTSERV(R) returns as a response to attempted mailing.