"B. Diamond" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:21:29 -0400
We have banned a subscriber from our list who is now threatening legal
action for denying him access.  I always understood that while a
listserver was liable to other laws that cover a public medium (like
libel, copyright law, etc.) that listservs are actually privately held
and we can thus permit or deny access to whomever we choose.

As it is currently worded in our introduction, our list is "sponsored
by" an professional association (with dues-paying members) and "hosted
by" our university.  Technically, the list is "owned by" me.  My
questions are as follows:

1. Do we have the "right" to ban individuals, even if they are
students and/or members of the professional organization mentioned above?

2.  As the list owner, am I somehow liable/responsible for lawsuits?

3.  How have others handled this situation?

Many thanks,

Bret Diamond
Owner, Eanth-L