Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 15:14:38 +1000

> I want to post something with pdf file attachment, and have
> the attachment stored in the archive, so it can be viewed via the web
> interface, but NOT send the attachment itself to the list members -
> only sends them a link to the archive.

A header keyword won't auto-magically do what you're asking.  You need to
temporarily suspend all posting to your subscribers, store the attachment,
re-enable your subscribers, then send the link.

This is a bit clunky but it worked for me the last time I wanted to avoid
sending a 2MB+ attachment to several hundred recipients.

1. QUERY your list for anyone set to DIGEST or NOMAIL.  Keep the results
handy, you'll need them shortly.

QUERY listname with DIGEST for *@* PW=xxxx
QUERY listname with NOMAIL for *@* PW=xxxx

2. Cut a digest immediately by switching all DIGEST subscribers to NODIGEST.
(Note the use of the QUIET operand so the subscribers aren't alarmed when
you start messing with their options.)

QUIET SET listname NODIGEST for *@* PW=xxxx

3. Set *all* subscribers to NOMAIL (this suspends posting out to everyone)

QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for *@* PW=xxxx

4. Send your post to the list with your attachment.  It will be stored in
the archive but not sent out to anyone (you set everyone to NOMAIL,
remember?).  Check via the web interface for the URL of the post and record
it somewhere.

5. Refer to your list of people who previously had DIGEST as their setting.
SET them back to DIGEST mode, again using QUIET.  (If you have a lot of
subscribers with this setting, a bulk job would be really handy.)

QUIET SET listname DIGEST for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
QUIET SET listname DIGEST for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
etc.

6. Re-enable MAIL for all subscribers.  (If you have a small subscribership
you can selectively turn on MAIL for each one who previously had MAIL
enabled.  Otherwise, proceed to the next step.)

QUIET SET listname MAIL for *@* PW=xxxx
-or-
QUIET SET listname MAIL for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
QUIET SET listname MAIL for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
etc.

7. Turn off mail for those who previously had NOMAIL anyway.  (As above, a
bulk job may be useful.)

QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
QUIET SET listname NOMAIL for [log in to unmask] PW=xxxx
etc.

8. Post to the list with the URL of the archive entry that contains your
attachment.

The only other way of achieving your goal is to manually construct an
archive entry.  This, however, is *not* for the faint-of-heart and having
local file access to your LISTSERV machine is almost a must.  If you're
interested, mail me privately and I'll step you through it.

--
Regards,
Michael Shannon

Chazzozz!!

This email message (and attachments) may contain information confidential to
TOWER Software.  If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use,
distribute or copy the message or message attachments.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email immediately and
delete all copies of the message and attachments.  Opinions, conclusions and
other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the
official business of TOWER Software, are not given or endorsed by it.