Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Apr 1995 19:42:59 GMT
] From:    Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>

]To  the  more  general  issue.   Yes,  a  code  of  conduct  or some
]acceptable standard agreed upon by all for handling these situations
]might be effective.  I don't think anything as  formal  as  you  are
]suggesting  is  realistic in a world where one country holds one act
]as illegal and another views that  same  act  as a right.

I would be optimistic (i.e.  "the glass is 50%  full,  not  empty"):
Western  countries  have  their constitutions and law based on Roman
Law.  For instance, you may bear  arms  in the US and not in Sweden.
However, you may not go to college in the US with a pump-gun hanging
from your shoulder.

There are several agreements & conventions (UN, UNESCO, some of them
regarded as International Law as, for instance "The Law of the Sea",
etc.)  which  have  been  ratified  by  most  countries.   Even   in
networking  and  e-conferences  where law may hang behind, there are
convergency processes concerning rights, use & access.  I am sure it
would not be _that_ hard  to  push-together some Senior listowners &
sysops (say, the LISTSERV  and  MAJORDOMO  ones  with  international
lists  to  start  with)  to  set  up a code covering ethics, law and
common conflicts related to these  activities (and a Senior board to
go to when conflicts arise).

]  [...]  do  they  not  also  have  the  right  to  restrict  it to
non-commercial networks?

As far as I understand, there is a "right" to restrict anything  you
would  like.   However,  I  ask: Is it ethical to deny access to the
information to individuals who  have  access to a conference through
commercial networks ?. I am afraid it is not.  As a matter of  fact,
I  am  very  pleased  to  know  that  retired  academics,  teachers,
researchers,  free-lance writers, etc.  may follow FISH-ECOLOGY from
their home: They are some  of  the tax-payers who have made possible
the very  e-conference.   Furthermore,  provided  that  non-academic
users follow aims & rules, it is just great that hardcore scientific
information reach their very homes.

]I'm  not a list-owner, but I suspect you get a representative number
]of non-deliveries from all over.  I'm referring to spams.

As  far  as  _I_  know,  AOL,  COMPUSERVE  and  DIGEX.NET close down
spammer's  accounts  [provided  that  third  parties  inform  them].
Furthermore, XX.COM postmasters reply.  And  if they don't, they get
fired - So was the case with a former AOL  Postmaster  who  did  not
take care of repeated complaints.

I  understand  some  of  you  see XX.COM as the problem-children.  I
would say the problem is  not  the pistol (service provider) but the
one  who  spamms  (the  individual  users:   commonly   small   biz,
environmental groups or some other kind of "crusaders").

FISH-ECOLOGY, for instance, is a conference which got a single  spam
message when it started (which started a flame war) but never again:
The   flags   Private,   Subs_By_Owner   and  -most  important-  the
cooperation from the subscribers  to  ignore such provocations close
the gates for spamms.  Furthermore, a good measure in  FISH-ECO  was
to  make  clear  that  whatever  is sent to the conference it is the
resposibility of the original author (included forwarded material).

]I think education would be very difficult for them.  They are not in
]the business of 'educating users' but collecting and making $$.

I believe that coordinated  efforts  from  academic  listowners  may
bring  about positive changes.  I am sure that "positive engagement"
will be  good  to  all  parties  -since  .COM  access  will increase
exponentially during coming years and whether we  like  it  or  not,
academic conferences will be affected by this.

]I've never seen a Code of  Conduct from any commercial network, has
]anyone else?

Positive. DIGEX.NET has one.

]I really don't have the answers, which is why I posted here.

Nor  do I and I would like to know what Senior managers like Thomas,
Klassen and others think about this.  I am sure their expertise will
give further insight into these issues.

    APS/FISH-ECOLOGY.