Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:37:49 EDT
On Wed, 8 Apr 1998 12:35:51 EDT Jean Snow said:
>I'm trying to clean up our lists in preparation for moving our
>Listserv to another host... I've read (here or on LSTSRV-L, and
>in the 1.8d beta manual) that you don't want to have subscriptions
>set to FULL822/SHORT822 headers for performance reasons.
>
>Seems we have a lot of [log in to unmask] subscriptions set to
>FULL822 (though some NETNEWS subs are FULLHDR or even SHORTHDR).
>Does anyone know if there's something special about netnews servers
>that requires FULL822?

This is probably due to some local NETNEWS quirk that requires a To:
line that points to the news server rather than generically to the list.
FULL822 tells LISTSERV to generate a separate RFC821 envelope with
a single RCPT TO: for addresses so set (which is why it is obsolete--
it can really slow down your server if enough people are set to it).
If you can change these to FULLHDR without causing breakage I'd say
do it...

Nathan