Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:05:16 -0500
On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Robert Ponterio wrote:

> Just "REPLY" to the posting placing the single line:
>
> ok
>
> in the body of your message.  If you wish to modify the posting before
> sending it on to the list, FORWARD it to your list, making any changes
> you see fit to the text.  I can't see any way that "REPLY/EXTRACT" would
> be of any use because the reply goes to LISTSERV, not to the list.

        Thanks for your response.  I'd like to be sure I understand
this correctly.  Are you saying that if I send back to LISTSERV a
reply containing one word, OK, without the message itself, LISTSERV
will send the message on to the list in such a way that no one reading
the message will know that I reviewed it first?  Pete Weiss helpfully
pointed out that the SENDER will be notified privately by LISTSERV,
but what about all the other people on the list?  Will there be some
kind of prefatory statement, or will the message just look like any
other message that's sent to the list?  I ask in part because
apparently some LISTSERV editing mechanisms result in the message's
being prefaced by instructions for sending the message to the list.
Perhaps those instructions only appear when the list editor does something
incorrectly, but I've seen this on lists run by experienced people, so
if they can goof, so can I.  And for all sorts of reasons, I'd like
the fact that I've reviewed the message first NOT to be known by the
rest of the people reading the message.

        Will a reply back to LISTSERV with the single word OK result in
what I want?  If so, I LOVE this feature!

        Thanks for your help and patience.

        Joan Korenman

*       Joan Korenman                 Internet: [log in to unmask]           *
*       U. of Md. Baltimore County                    or                    *
*       Baltimore, MD 21228-5398                [log in to unmask]     *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *