Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:03:49 -0700
At 11:26 PM 2/19/97 -0500, Jeff Kell wrote:
>When the output record size is "artificially" line-wrapped at a maximum
>limit, "quoted-printable" (and RTF and some others) tack on that
>trailing space in escaped format (=20) so that any "intelligent" (sp)
>mail readers won't concatenate the trailing word of the line with the
>first word of the next line while "stripping newlines to reformat the
>text to fit your window".

This confirms what I just posted.  I have wordwrap turned ON in Eudora and
don't get the problem described.

>Newfangled, commercial mail systems may "look" pretty when sending
>messages within your local network, but they haven't yet picked up a
>clue on the impact on the Internet.  MS Exchange, Netscape Communicator,
>you name it; they cause innumerable problems.  How many WINMAIL.DAT
>attachments do you put up with per week?

Yup to all of those.  Plus my pet peeve.  Zillions of newbies use Pegasus
cuz it is free and the ISP gives it to them like it was gold from heaven.
Well, when they do whatever they call a "reply text" (which may be the
default for all I know), it PUTS THE DAMN HEADERS IN THE QUOTED TEXT.  And
we all know what that does to listserv.  I've finally gotten really hardass
on my lists....i catch some of them, but on other days just mass delete
bounces, depending on time for the dozen lists.  if i clean up and forward
to the list this stuff from a given poster, i'll do it once for him with an
explanation....and the second time with a final warning....after that, his
stuff gets deleted.  if he isn't smart enough to get it after two warnings,
the heck with him.  i'll not be his secretary because he's too lazy or
stupid to cut out headers.

>Much of this can also be in the user's "SMTP gateway" and not entirely
>their fault.  In general, the more expensive the mail client and/or
>gateway, the more problems it causes in Internet mail.  The originating
>user and/or management is, under the circumstances, not completely open
>to fielding complaints about their new expensive "toy".

Yup.  GroupWise 4.1 (which much of campus uses) is one of these.
Purportedly 5.0 is pretty good on these things....guess Novell has learned
a bit from customers.  We'll see when we get it this summer.

>However, with the onslaught of commercial, whizz-bang mailers recently,
>I don't expect the problem to get any better.

I'll continue to be hopeful after reading the Groupwise 5.0 lit and
such....and will pray they don't dash my hopes.  I don't have many list
members using it, but I do support 60 of our own staff with it, and give
partial support to a few hundred others.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king.