"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 13:33:00 EDT
Hmm, while we're bashing, how about those "nasty" Usenet filters
that alert you when some article matches your profile?

Speaking of filters, one time I got "hit" upon one of those that
did not like my reference to xxxx.mit.edu instead of rtfm.mit.edu
(even when BOTH were specified in the same article).

One (previous) notification was more than sufficient that I
had referenced an obsolete FAQ host site.

But the author of the Usenet scanner felt, in his infinite net-wisdom,
felt that his automaton should harass me for saying the xxxx word
on-net.

Or the time some class project was to e-mail folks' anonymous FTP
password (userid@node) with some info.  I suggested that this was a
breach of etiquette, but no, it was their class project.  I immediately
did another aFTP with the responders userid@node for the password.

Hmm, I think I'm onto something here.

/Pete "the guy who referenced xxxx" Weiss