Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:41:22 -0500
>At 10:11 PM 11/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I'd like to change the names of a number of subscribers.
>>
>>I tried deleting and then re-adding, but that didn't seem to work.
>
>By "didn't seem to work" do you mean their posts look the same as
>before?  If their email package puts a name on their posts I think
>that will stick, regardless of what name Listserv has for them.
>
>Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
>Michigan State University

Additionally, and I still have yet to figure out why, when LISTSERV
indexes digests, on the web interface for example, it uses the "Personal
Name:" field of the sender's e-mail client to determine how to file the
document for a "by name" listing of the archives for a month.  Therefore,
if I change my "Personal Name" field in my e-mail client to "Glenn",
"Glenn A", "Glenn A.", or "Glenn Alperin", all in the same month, it will
show up in the digest as if it came from four different people, even
though they all come from [log in to unmask]

Why does LISTSERV do this?  I know I've asked this question before, but I
have yet to get an answer of any sort either via private e-mail or via a
reply to the list.

Glenn