Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 00:03:58 -0500
There has been some discussion of how to hide the names of the owners and
editors of a list:

At 09:56 PM 1995/11/17 -0500, George Buckner wrote:
>Peter:
>
>>As far as I am aware, you can't hide the OWNER= unless you
>>make the REVIEW=OWNER.
>
>Actually (as I've recently discovered) the review option only applies to the
>list of subscribers.  Outsiders can still see everything on the header, even
>when review=owner.

One way to hide the names is to create dummy lists for the names of the
owners and editors.  Here is an example:

>*  Owner= (OWNA)
>*  Owner= quiet:,(OWNG)
>*
>*  Editor= (OWNG)
>*  Editor= (OWNC)

The OWNA list has only one subscriber--the person who will receive the error
messages for the list.  OWNG has several subscribers--the group of people
who have owner privileges for the list.  As you can see, we are also using
lists for the editors.  All of these pseudo-lists are confidential.

Our reason for using lists like this is not for confidentiality, but for
convenience.  We run over 25 lists.  It is much easier to change the
subscribers on our few control lists than it is to edit 25 list headers.

We also use dummy accounts on some lists.  The list header gives a moderator
address of:

>*  Moderator= [log in to unmask]

Mail is forwarded from this account to the actual moderator.  Again, this is
not for keeping the actual moderator address confidential.  We have a team
of moderators who work 12-hour shifts.  The forwarding address is changed
automatically every 12 hours.

                               Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati  >>
<<  KIDLINK Director of Educational Services & Subscription Manager  >>
<<  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://www.uc.edu/~wheeler/  >>