Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:32:56 -0500

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Larry Eckley wrote:

> We just upgraded to listserv 1.8d, and have been experiencing listserv
> going down every so often.  In effect the helper processes disappear
> and the maill begins to queue up.  On re-booting, the backlog is
> processed.  Is there a way to acertain the problem?  We are running
> under AIX 4.3.2, and SENDMAIL 8.9.3.  We made the standard upgrade.

Does the log file that generates show any abnormaly entries in it at the
times Listserv crashed? We get this problem every so often and it turns
out the Listserv bombs due to it being unable to get enough RAM. I have
yet to figure out why because Listserv never crashes at a time when RAM is
in heavy use on our system and its allocated plenty of memory. In order to
avoid having Listserv be unavailable for our users, we wrapped our
Listserv in a supervisor program that simply restarts Listserv whenever it
crashes, which is about once a month.