Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 21:38:40 -0700
At 01:35 AM 1/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>If two different gateways are set up between the same mailing list and
>newsgroup, then you may or may not have problems depending on how the
>gateways are designed. If they're designed right, then there wouldn't

I certainly won't argue about gateways with fine folks and experts like Jim
M.  However, where there may be some ambiguity here is on what is MEANT by
a gateway.  A number of my lists are gatewayed through Jim to
bit.listserv.listname, general usenet groups.  No problem.  I agree that
duplicating any of them to usenet would be foolish.

However, I also have a number of "redistributions" to local sites by
various techniques.  I'm sure that none of those are to general usenet,
though a few are at places like "Podunk State" which may name them
something like pod.listname or whatever they like.  Those are NOT a problem
as far as I can tell, and some do post thru the local newsgroup, or via
direct mail.  Either way, they get referred to the editor unless they've
also subbed and set nomail.  Both work fine.

I would call the local redistributions exactly that.....local
redistributions.  However, some of the maintainers of them call them
"usenet gateways", which in a sense they are, since I imagine anyone could
get the local pod.listname if they really chose to.

cheers

cyclops

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind the one-eyed man is king.