Thu, 23 Jun 1994 20:24:37 -0500
> On Wed, 22 Jun 1994 16:44:08 -0700, Bruce Schuman wrote:
> >As I read the basic "INFO REFCARD" for listserv, it seems to suggest that
> >subscribers can *choose* which _topics_ they wish to receive.
>
> On Thu, 23 Jun 1994 01:59:29 +0200, Eric Thomas's reply containd this caveat:
> >The difficulty is in coercing the  users into putting the right labels on
>
> My experience is that SET MAIL INDEX is MUCH more precise.  I get a daily
> list of the subject lines with index numbers, and the

Index is a very handy option.  However, I think we run into the same
problem of subscribers not paying attention, it's too much trouble
to go through the Index, send back their selections, wait for them
to come in, etc.  Most subscribers want their material *now* with no
particular work on their part (sorry if I sound cynical, just stating
what I see as reality).  There are some savvy subscribers who use
index, but I wouldn't be at all suprise if most who use that option
are themselves listowners.  I know of one person on our list set index
(a listowner) but I have yet to see anyone turned up set that way by
a query I've sent in because of a problem I'm checking.  And with over
2500 subscribers and 200 or more error messages per day I've done a
lot of checking.

However, the gentleman who asked the original question has a fairly
small, focused list.  And he says his subscribers are pretty good at
following instructions.  So telling his people to use Index might be
a plausible option.  Of course, if everyone uses Index, the discussion
will be slow.

Douglas

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner