John Scully <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:12:50 -0600
Here's an interesting problem that I just experienced.  Please keep in mind
I'm
a novice List Owner.  Any input would be appreciated:

I run a travel newsletter that is distributed weekly to 100,000 email
addresses
or so.  I run Listserv on my own listserver, a dedicated Windows NT machine.
There are about a dozen people who are subscribed under an alias that they
don't know, so they continue to receive the weekly letter despite their desire
to signoff the list.  I've received numerous threats from a couple of them,
and
last weekend, someone sent a command to delete all the names on my list.

I've realized through using the following series of commands that I could
easily add or remove a changing database of additions and subtractions:

QUIET ADD HOTDEALS (the name of my list) DD=NAMES IMPORT
//NAMES DD *
list of subscribers email addresses
/*

and

QUIET DEL HOTDEALS DD=NAMES
//NAMES DD *
list of unsubscribers email addresses
/*

However, when I use these commands, I am NOT asked for a confirmation, despite
the fact that I have my list set to require confirmation for ALL commands.  Is
it possible that someone could have used my return address to send a DEL
command to listserv and destroy my list?  If so, how could I prevent this?

Regards,
John Scully