Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:00:13 -0500
On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Karen wrote:

>We are set to auto-delete= yes,semi-auto, and still get the errors because Yahoo
>is bouncing them to owner-asperger, rather than the list address.

Yes if you're set to "auto-delete= yes,semi-auto" you'll get all the
errors (like these) that listserv can't identify as "permanent errors"
to put into its daily error report. That's the way I'm set and I get
them myself every so often.  (And I don't have any Yahoo subscribers,
so I have no involvement with this particular problem.)

If you're set to "auto-delete= yes,full-auto", Listserv throus away
all the bounces that it can't automatically identify and you see only
the error reports.

And by the way, there seems to be confusion where about where bounces
go. The "owner-asperger", or "owner-<listname>", address is where
bounces are *supposed* to be returned to.  That's the "SMTP-From"
address that Listserv uses in sending mail and it's where it expects
delivery errors to be returned.  If you're set to "auto-delete=yes"
Listserv filters out the bounces it can identify as "permanent"
errors, summarizes them in the error report, and sets the clock on
deleting the subscriber.  If you're set to "semi-auto", the rest of
these bounce messages are forwarded to the list-owner (or whoever is
specified in "Errors-To").  If you're set to "full-auto", the rest of
these bounce messages are simply discarded.

Bounces are not supposed to be sent to the list address and thus
trigger a possible mailing loop, but if they are, Listserv generally
catches them because it does not allow the body of a post to contain a
"Sender:", "From:", or "Reply-to:" field pointing to the list, and
will forward it to the listowner with a message that it's been
identified as a possible delivery error for that reason.  Most of the
posts that come to me with that message tacked onto the top are list
posts in which the poster has included those fields from the post
they're quoting, but I have also seen some actual delivery errors that
were bounced back to the list address itself (in error) and
intercepted because of that rule.

If a non-compliant mailer returns a delivery error to any other
address the listowner will probably never see it because Listserv will
never know it happened.  I've seen delivery errors bounced back to the
originator of each post (very frustrating!!!).  I knew about them
because of my role as list *poster*, not my role as list *owner*.

Dennis