Adam Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:20:00 -0600
On 1/8/98 6:16 PM, Pauline M. Marshall <[log in to unmask]> wrote...

>On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Adam Bailey wrote:
>
>> >If LISTSERV could automatically convert all user-ids to the lower case (as
>> >a standard), it would solve the problem with double subscriptions.
>>
>> No, no, no. That would be wrong. RFCs state that usernames don't have to
>> be case insensitive. On some systems, usernames ARE case sensitive.
>
>Then if they are two seperate usernames (as defined by RFCs) then they
>should be able to be manipulated as two (ie, add, delete, mail, digest,
>index, review etc), and not have 'fuzzy logic' matching for some, but not
>all commands.

I have no problem with adding some special switch, like "DEL
[log in to unmask] (exact". I AM against making delete commands (and
keeping add commands) case sensitive, since 99.99% of the time, you're
not dealing with case sensitive addresses. I'd much rather we have to do
a little more work to deal with those very rare cases, then have to do
more work the rest of the time.

--
Adam Bailey      | Chicago, Illinois
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-| "Do not take life too seriously;