Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:58:13 -0400
Your main problem appears to be mostly political/social in nature . . .
but this might give you a technical way around their argumentative
insistence on overruling the list owners (for whatever organizational
reasons there are).

Make one or more new lists, depending on how many announcement-pushers
you're dealing with.  Use the sub-lists keyword on the new list to make
your existing lists "logical members" of the new list.  The new list
need not have any actual subscribers itself, but you specify all the
other list header properties in the usual way.  Messages sent to the
"super-list" will be sent to each subscriber of all the sub-lists
specified, and LISTSERV(tm) is smart enough to unduplicate the target
population, so if one person happens to be subscribed to more than one
of the sub-lists of one particular super-list, they'll see that
super-list traffic only once.

It's pretty slick and works OK for us.  You'll even see daily error
monitoring reports for the super-lists, but the auto-delete activity of
"normal" lists does not happen, since there are usually no subscribers
to that list itself.

I have a few large lists that cover pretty much everyone here.  There
is a disparate group of people that want to push out announcements via
these lists.  The lists are set up with send=editor,hold,confirm The
group of people take issue with the editor approval mechanism and want
to send to the list without intervention.

I could make the list announce only and add these people as owners but
this loses the safety of send=editors,hold,confirm.
Making it a moderated list doesn't seem to fulfill the request as it
loads shares the approvals.  The group of people don't work together and
insists on autonomy from the send=editor,hold,confirm.

It must be possible but I can't figure out how. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul