Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:06:32 -0500
>Hi all,

Hello!

>1) I recently tried to send out a bulk mail to 6000 subscribers.  This
>was an information email informing them of a new service.  When I did
>the test mail, the mail went out as if it were from me and not the
>listname. I sent this mail through Netscape mail, and i went into
>Options then News and Mail preferences to change my name to the listname
>(so it would look like it came from the list)  I only changed the, YOUR
>NAME to the listname and left the YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS and REPLY ADDRESS
>as my own.  This still did not work, so I changed all the fields but
>then found that listserv would not talk to me so that I could confirm
>the command.

I don't know how to solve this problem.  Hopefully some of the other
people here will know what to do.

>2)  Some of our lists are for one way bulk mailing only, therefore we do
>not want people to reply to the email.  When a person gets the email
>there is a reply to field present.  Can this be switched off in
>situations like this?  If it can't, how do I insert the email address to
>reply to, is the parameter and keyword in the listheaders?  Could you
>let me know which parameter it is.

Just an idea...not sure if it will work, and maybe somebody else on the
list will tell me if it will.

What if you set the list to

* Send= User@address

inserting your e-mail adress there, and the set

* Reply-to= User@address, ignore

Presumably, this would bounce any message sent from anybody else, aside
from those authorized to send one, to the person in the

* Errors-To=

address, so that you could have this be all of the people you are
expecting to deal with responses to this bulk e-mail.  This needs to be a
physical address and not a list address, but I would see no difficulty
with creating an account on a server which has the soul purpose of
forwarding mail to another account (the second account being a list of
people who should be in charge of dealing with the responses from the bulk
e-mail).

>And how do i set up an auto
>responder so that the person will politly get told that they are not
>supposed to send emails to the list.

If my method works, there is probably already a template file that will
bounce back information to those not authorized to post to a list.  I'm
not sure what the specific template file is though.

All of this assumes that I reallyu know what I'm talking about, and I'd
probably need somebody else to confirm whether or not I really do.

>Thankyou
>
>Debs

Glenn