Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 09:21:30 GMT
On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:32:14 EST, Alex Rudd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I run a pretty active list for which Subscription= By_Owner.  Since
>new subscribers are asked to mail me (via snail mail) before I add
>them to the list,

> Can anyone think
>of a way I might automate what I do so it's not so time-intensive?

LISTSERV(R) can do most of this for you.  Firstly, unless you are
collecting money, there is no reason for prospective users to snail-mail
you.  They should be instructed to email  LISTSERV@your_host
with the one-line message:  SUBSCRIBE listname F_Name L_Name

There is already template message that will cause LISTSERV to format
their address correctly (as LISTSERV understands it) and then forward it
to you for approval.  If they are OK (or have paid), then you ADD then to
the list (actually the template even formats the ADD command for you
making it very easy).

I see no reason to keep track of dates, and also no reason to keep track
of anybody who doesn't respond.  You can keep track of the the copy of
the ADD confirmation message if you want (which includes date, name, &
email address).  There is more info in the Owners Manual, esp. Sec 9 on
modifying the listname.MAILTPL template file to customize it for your
list.

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]