"Mark R. Williamson" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:06:44 CST
On Sat, 1 Apr 1995 01:42:29 +0200 Eric said:
>Peers have always  used long headers internally, so this  is hardly a new
>problem.

The new part, of course, is that these long internal headers will now be
visible to end-user systems by default, so peer linkages that have been
working fine now start creating delivery problems.  Oh well, it was time
to redesign/re-evaluate the peering anyway.

>         The  default sendmail hop limit  of 16 is just  plain and simple
>broken.  It breaks  even some  sendmail-based redistribution  lists. With
>people reading  their mail  on a  PC-based mail  system sitting  behind a
>firewall it doesn't take all that long to accumulate 16 hops.

I agree with all this part completely.  I wouldn't have brought it up myself
had Bill's message hit me after a bout of handling hop-count bounces.
Sorry to have bothered everyone.

--Mark