Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:30:40 -0500
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Russ Hunt wrote:
> This is a new one on me.  I recently received an "X has received
> your messsage and will respond" note when someone subscribed to
> a list. I wrote the person to query it (receiving another
> receipt notice in reponse), and tell her that I'd have to set
> her NOPOST to avoid, well, you know what.
> She wrote back and said "That is my bounce back message at work.
> We are obliged to use them because of the freedom of information
> act" (this is from Britain).
> Has anyone else heard of this?  If this actually were the case,
> I'd have assumed that we'd all have been flooded with receipt
> notices. Or perhaps it _is_ the case, and LISTSERV is silently
> dealing with it the way it does with other loops and various out
> of office bots?

I doubt that it is a law in the UK; I have many hundreds of subscribers
from there, some from official gov. agencies using their official gov.
addresses, and none of them do this.  I suspect it is a local rule,
decided on by the local eamil administrators (I've run into that in the
US).

I just tell 'em, fine, you are DIGEST as long as send those messages.
When you get rid of them, you can be MAIL.  If you set yourself back to
MAIL and still send those things you will be deleted from the list.

I wouldn't set the offender NOPOST for fear of starting a loop.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]