Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:48:00 -0600
>That being said - I started Beta testing today, and already have a problem
with a user who is trying to send via Outlook and they are coming out the
other end as blank emails.  This problem is spreading rapidly.  About every
third test email is blank.  Looking into it, it appears that Outlook's Rich
Text emails can't be interpreted by ListServ.  Am I supposed to tell all
1500 listees that they have to change their Outrlook settings, or is there a
workaround?  Outlook is a pretty popular email client, I would hope there is
something that can be done on the server level, 'cause asking a bunch of
extremely low-tech people to change settings in a program they barely
understand is the worst solution I could think of.

Part of the problem here is that Outlook (unless you mean Outlook Express)
isn't always the email client seen by the end user. Lately, they've
apparently been shipping with Word as the default client.

This might require figuring out what the user's setup is really generating.
Can you have that test Outlook user send you direct copies? That way, you
can see what is getting stripped out.

The way rich text OUGHT to work is that it sends two MIME parts: a plaintext
version and an HTML version, which is where the text enhancements are. If
you have your list configured to strip out the HTML (Language= NOHTML), the
plaintext should still get through.

If the client is not generating a plaintext version and you aren't allowing
HTML via the list, that's the problem.

Hal Keen