Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 17:38:49 +0100
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:34:52 -0500 Mentor Cana <[log in to unmask]>
said:

> Actually the  name of my  list is by  one character different  then the
> name (apparently  trademark). (...) Honestly,  I did not know  of their
> name, (...) I'm not even claiming any  rights to the name, it is just a
> name I saw appropriate for my list!

I suspect  that the  same rules  apply for  this part  as for  real world
trademark claims.

> AND I don't think list names are trademark issue.

As a  rule of thumb, anything  that is published is  subject to trademark
claims. I don't know what the courts  would think about a name used in an
electronic  discussion group  that is  not  open to  the general  public,
however if  a magazine decides  to publish subscription  instructions for
your list, there's a very good chance that this will count as publishing.
I would change the name.

  Eric